Hi, guys! Hope you’ve all been enjoying the holiday week! We had wonderful celebrations with Shane’s family on Tuesday and mine on Wednesday. I seriously can’t believe Christmas is already over, it went by in the blink of an eye this year. And, yes, I’m in complete denial that it’ll be 2014 in just a few days…
(By the way, that amazing cake above is a kransekake made by Shane’s cousin, Kieran. Isn’t it perfection? Attempting one myself is on my bucket list, someday I’ll work up the courage!)
Today, in keeping with tradition from years past, I’m recapping the most popular recipes I published in 2013. There were a surprising number of savory posts on the list! Usually the sweet treats win you over, but I’m so glad you loved the mix this year. I’ll definitely keep that in mind for 2014 🙂
Stay tuned – next week I’ll be back to share our favorites that didn’t make the cut on this list.
13. Homemade Kettle Corn – We instituted a weekly movie night at our house this year and for me, movies and popcorn go hand in hand. As much as I love a big bowl of buttered popcorn, I am powerless to resist the sweet and salty combo of kettle corn and after many, many failed attempts, I was so happy with the way this recipe turned out. It’s foolproof!
12. Blue Velvet Cupcakes with Easy Vanilla Buttercream – It was definitely the year of red velvet here. From cookies to cobbler, and ice cream to these cupcakes, I clearly couldn’t get enough! And though I used blue food coloring to make these cupcakes festive for the 4th of July, they’re equally as tasty with red.
11. Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake – It probably goes without saying that this cake is a total showstopper. I made it for a few different celebrations this year and it was met with rave reviews each time. Flourless chocolate cake topped with dark chocolate mousse and then white chocolate mousse, it’s as delicious as it is stunning!
10. Soft and Chewy Double Chocolate M&M Cookies – Easily one of my favorite cookie recipes of the year. They’re quick and easy, and they stay perfectly soft and chewy for days after baking! And I seriously cannot resist the colorful M&Ms – give me M&M cookies over chocolate chip any day 🙂
9. Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken – I think we all need a few go-to slow cooker recipes in our arsenal, and this is definitely on our list. I lost track of how many times I made it this year, but no matter how often it’s on the menu, we never tire of it. That’s a sure sign of a winning recipe!
8. Chipotle Chicken Chowder – Forget chicken noodle soup, when this year’s inevitable winter cold strikes, try a bowl of chipotle chicken chowder instead. Packed with chicken, potatoes, and hominy, it’s hearty and filling. And bonus – it’s healthy too!
7. Glazed Chocolate Pound Cake – Velvety chocolate cake topped with a shiny chocolate glaze, this cake is a chocolate lover’s dream. Enjoy as is, or dress it up with berries and a huge dollop of whipped cream; you definitely can’t go wrong either way!
6. No-Bake Oreo Cheesecake – After realizing this site was lacking in no-bake dessert options, I set out to share a few more in 2013. This recipe is the marriage of so many awesome things – a creamy cheesecake studded with tons of Oreo cookies, and because it’s no-bake, no worries about the cheesecake cracking? Yes please!
5. Coconut-Buttermilk Pound Cake – My favorite pound cake of all time, I’m so glad this recipe made the list! In the past I often found pound cake boring, but this one is anything but, featuring the winning combination of coconut and buttermilk.
4. Muffin Tin Mini Lasagnas – We really tried to eat healthier in 2013, and rather than cut out all of our favorites entirely, we found new ways to enjoy them. These mini lasagnas are perfectly portioned and satisfy the craving without breaking the calorie bank 🙂
3. Homemade Pizza Rolls – If you loved frozen microwave pizza rolls as much as I did growing up you’ll be thrilled to discover you can make them yourself at home without any of the funky unpronounceable ingredients. Crisp on the outside with a cheesy center, these pizza rolls are guaranteed to make you feel like a kid again!
2. Foolproof Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits – I guess everyone loves a basic buttermilk biscuit! For the longest time I struggled to make tall, flaky biscuits, but this recipe was really a game-changer for me. And based on the emails and comments I’ve received, it’s worked just as well for you guys too.
1. Chicken Parmesan Baked Pasta – It wasn’t even close, this dish was by far the most popular of the year! In fact, it’s now the most popular of all time on my site. It’s not hard to see why though – what’s not to love about a comfort food classic made in just one pan in under an hour? If you haven’t tried it yet, this is a wonderful dish to enjoy during these cold-weather months!
So, how many of your favorites made the list? I’ll be back soon with some ideas for New Year’s Eve for you and remember to check back next week to find out which recipes Shane and I called our favorites in 2013! 🙂